Wednesday, July 27, 2016


I've spent the last couple of weekends tweaking some older paintings and completely redoing one. I rarely do this(read never) so something has shifted in my brain. I do believe I've learned a few things (finally!!)so I actually had solutions to problems these paintings presented at the time of their completion(?). I redid the trilliums but truthfully I may like the first version better. I did think the first painting looked a bit sloppy but now it's looking more painterly. Anyhoo, one painting I was extremely happy to rescue was the Great Dane. Loved the dog, hated the background. At the time I was totally stumped as how to handle it so the outcome was pretty bad. This past weekend the solution was obvious. Another painting just needed more warmth. Yet another needed deeper shadows. I'm on a roll.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Trilliums 2 ~ complete

Here is my finished painting. Like I mentioned in my previous post, this is a new style for me but I thoroughly enjoyed working this way and will definitely pursue this same style in the future. Looking at the painting now I wish I had spent more time on the white petals. White flowers provide a great opportunity to exercise our ability to observe and see color where our minds say there should be none. White is really a very colorful color!
two tulips I rescued from the lawn mower

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Trilliums Again

A portion of the transfer
Portion #2

This is the final sketch.

Storyboarding...this is a method I employ using individual drawings on tracing paper and arranging them to create a pleasing composition. It works great and I'm too cheap to buy another version of Adobe Elements.

This time I'm putting a new spin on things. This style is new to me and I'm not sure how it will turn out but why let that stop me, huh? I've put down a coat of acrylic gesso on matboard to add an element of texture, let that dry and then painted the surface with black acrylic paint. I transferred my drawing with white transfer paper and things are now ready for color. I plan to use a palette of soft greens and blues but that may change depending on how it's looking in process. Wish me luck!

Friday, July 01, 2016

Morels 2 ~ complete

And here is the finished painting all float mounted and framed and ready for a buyer. If you like what you see let me know. If not this will probably go to the gallery. In the meantime I've started work on the next work of art. This time I think I'll be painting trilliums and I've got an interesting palette chosen. Actually it's a entirely new approach, new to me that is.