Translate

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Importance of Play



In the wee hours of the morning I was enjoying the cool and suddenly felt the creative urge stirring. I didn't have anything ready to roll so I decided to play. I got out granulation medium, a Micron pen, acrylic gesso and walnut ink. I use styrofoam disposable plates for palettes and, when the bits of leftover paint dry, I stack them and keep them handy. I sorted through the lot and chose my colors. Then I played. I found out what granulation medium does when poured onto wet watercolor and/or walnut ink. I also discovered what amazing textures are created when you mix gesso into wet watercolor and granulation medium. I painted a loon! I finished the session off by painting part of a field stone wall. Most importantly, I learned! Just by taking a half hour to simply play I now have a few more tricks in my arsenal as I move forward. Don't ever underestimate the power of play. There's no pressure. Let the creative juices flow and enjoy yourself. Isn't that what it's really all about?   

No comments: