Translate

Monday, May 05, 2014

Drawing Tip ~ Flip it!



If you work from photographs and struggle with certain subjects, here's a tip that may help. For example...I'm not the best at free handing people, especially faces. I usually resort to tracing or if a perfect likeness is called for, I will use a grid. Several years ago I spent a great deal of time on Wetcanvas.com in the Drawing & Sketching forum and participated in the weekly drawing challenges. The reference one week was a photo of a little boy and girl having a big hug with each other. Loved the photo but it scared me to death. It was not only people but children and the faces were at very odd angles. I flipped the image upside down in my photo editor and worked from that. Flipping reduced the subjects to nothing more than various shapes and lines that made no obvious sense to eye. Then I proceeded to simply draw what I saw. When completed, I flipped my drawing over and surprise! It looked a great deal like the photo. Why couldn't I have drawn this with the image right side up? Probably fear and an untrained eye my brain didn't trust. I wish I could remember who suggested this to me because I would love to credit them. Give it a go. You might surprise yourself, too. 

2 comments:

Katherine Harra said...

Well I've been stressing about a friend who wants to commission paintings of her FOUR cats, and I've not recently felt comfortable drawing cats - left them behind for flowers and forgot how. I will take this advice and see if I can't get over that confidence hump. Thank you!

Billie Crain said...

I hope this works for you, Katherine. Can't hurt to try.