Translate

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Red Hat Ladies ~ WIP 1




It seems like it's been a long time since I posted an update but I have been working at this, albeit slowly, almost everyday. Yesterday was migraine day (bad headache) so I watched the Housewives of NYC marathon instead. Wow, those ladies can get crazy, crazy. Talk about drama around every corner but I digress...

I wound up transferring my drawing twice before beginning the painting. Thank heaven I did those color studies and discovered that mixed in with my Arches hotpress paper was a sheet of Strathmore Bristol Series 500 illustration board. I didn't order it but somehow it came with the Arches watercolor paper by mistake. I remember thinking that the paper felt heavier or more stiff when I pulled it out but continued on, clueless. It wasn't until I laid down a very wet wash that I realized something was wrong. The paper 'pilled' up like an old sweater. I tried the other side of the paper and found that almost as smooth as Yupo. The paint even beaded up on it. That's when I noticed an embossed stamp in one corner stating that it was Bristol board and the really good stuff, too!

I do love a challenge now and then so I decided to continue with the smooth side of the paper and paint my red hat ladies. We'll see how successful I am when it's done.  

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

lovely work billie! glad to see you turned your oversight into a challenge. and thank you very much for your kind and thought filled words on my blog. they help more than you can know.

Billie Crain said...

Hi, Suzanne! Welcome to my blog! Thank you so much for your comment.:) I think about you often and hope you are doing better. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other until you can run free and feel true joy again.