Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

Good Ship Rhino ~ color study




After looking at my composition for two days straight, I've decided I'm not happy with it. The left side looks like I simply ran out of paper and I may have to change the entire format. In the meantime I thought it wise to do a color study of my main subject, especially because I'm merging an animal with a manmade object. Will it 'read right' when contour and color are added? I've decided to submit this to a critique forum and get some feed back. I'll see what others have to say(if anything) and post any comments and suggestions on my blog. It should prove interesting and hopefully enlightening.

4 comments:

renate said...

Hello Billie:) I've studied your study for a while now. A little bit of color would be nice but I don't know where to put it?
Maybe if the rest of the sketch is visible you even don't have to color this part. (if you do the rest of the sketch? I hope so)
On your previous post I saw you made a small ear on the teacup. Was this your intention?
I'm sorry I can't help you more. It's also the language that makes it difficult. Good luck with your choises!

Billie Crain said...

What seems to work one day may not look as pleasing to me the next, Renate. This is why I don't rush into a painting that stems mainly from imagination. I want to avoid getting locked into a train of thinking when there may be better possibilities. I did reduce the size of the cup handle deliberately. It was another absurd element added to the mix. I also plan to keep my palette low chroma for the most part. Thank you for your support!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its good to seek input from other fresh eyes and I hope the critique group are helpful.

We so often second guess ourselves when creating a piece, especially when its based on visions we have in our heads in morphing reality into illusion.

I love the concept of this piece and the more unbelieveable a piece can be sometimes, the more believeable it can become.

Billie Crain said...

I don't think the critique group knew quite what to make of this but most liked it anyway. One reaction was very interesting. One person saw a completely different concept. She saw it as the Ark. I thought that was brilliant and I've learned maybe not to make my titles so specific so viewers can form their own opinions of what is going on and leave things more open to interpretation.