Translate

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Making Homemade Stamps for Cheap ~ Frog

Here are my first results. Speedball ink seemed to work best. The fluid acrylic, not so much although my stamp was still a bit wet from rinsing.

Here is my stamp, cut and mounted on a scrap piece of gatorboard. The frog is 2 7/8" x 1 3/8".

I went over my drawing on the styrofoam with a sharp pencil. Styrofoam is so soft this easily left an indented outline to follow.

A drawing, if one is needed. I made mine on tracing paper so if I chose to reverse the image(which I did) I didn't need to redraw. Remember, when you use your stamp the image will be reversed so please keep that in mind when transferring your drawing.

Supplies you will need: styrofoam plates, Exacto knife with sharp blade & glue. A self-healing mat is nice for cutting and some foamcore or gatorboard for mounting your finished stamp. Note: You may need to glue two or more plates together to get the desired thickness of styrofoam. For my project I used two plates.
----------------------------------------------------------

I saw this idea somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where or I would post a link or at least give credit.


I've done a short pictorial demo of my first attempt at making a homemade stamp from cheap styrofoam plates. Stamps tend to be pricey and you can never find exactly what you're looking for anyway. Proper stamp making supplies also come with a price tag and, with no craft stores near me, shipping costs as well.

3 comments:

Feathers said...

What fun! You're always coming up with creative ideas. Living where I do, I fully understand the lack of close by art supply stores. This shows that there are ways to explore without a hefty price tag.
Anita.

Billie Crain said...

Thx, Anita. I can't take full credit for this idea but it sure is a good one, isn't it? I'm going to try styrofoam meat trays next. That would be recycling, right?;)

Feathers said...

You betcha!!! :-) Shouldn't need two layers with them I'd think.