Translate

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Establishing Color & Values with Pastel


Colorful, isn't she?


Here I've greyscaled my pastel to double check the values. Notice the arrow I've drawn to indicate my light source. Ummm...the center top of the head looks too dark. Needs tweaking.

I originally planned to print out a copy of my sketch onto cardstock and use pencil and charcoal to determine placement of the appropriate values for Sydney's portrait. Then I had the brilliant idea to get out my soft pastels and experiment with those instead. I had forgotten how messy soft pastels are and how fun they are to work with.:) Cardstock is not a good support for soft pastels and I struggled to not wipe them completely off the surface when I tried to blend them. I did the best I could but wound up digitally enhancing my results to get the color saturation I wanted.

2 comments:

smiles said...

I love your website and I love your work. Your very gifted. :-)

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, smiles and welcome to my blog.:)