Translate

Friday, April 16, 2010

In The Mood for Hollyhocks



Actually I'm in the mood to paint something in a long, narrow format and hollyhocks came to mind. I doodled up a sketch last night, working from memory. Today I found a photo I took of some double hollyhocks I grew a few years ago. I think the photo may already be on my blog somewhere but I'm too lazy to go hunting. The light source isn't the best so I will have to work that out in the sketch and I see I forgot what lovely large sepals hollyhocks sport. Now to decide if I want to do this painting loose style, more realistic, on paper, on gesso, on matboard....decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Hollyhocks are great subjects for long narrow paper. These are particularly beautiful ones and I remember growing the same one years ago.

The colours will be wonderful in a painting.

Billie Crain said...

This variety is particularly hard to find. I believe the name is Black Currant Swirl. There's another variety of hollyhock very similar called Creme de Cassis that's easier to find. It's so similar in fact I'm wondering if they didn't just rename the original.

I'd really like to paint this on matboard but I don't have a long narrow piece to use, darn it.