Translate

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Duck Duck Goose~Completed


I decided to go with the simple background for this. It may need more work to create depth in the grass but I'm calling it done for now.

At first I planned to do a simple blue sky and low grasses so I outlined a few areas of the goose and the ducks with a Prussian blue Derwent w/c pencil to prevent color bleed. It sounded like a good idea at the time! Unfortunately, the pencil didn't want to blend out as well as I would've thought so I have a nice blue outline showing in some spots and those lines absolutely refuse to budge. Lesson learned once again.

Seeing this on the blog just now made me realize the grass needs a lot more work. Maybe at a later date.

10 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

I think the background works well in terms of colour and shape. I think too much more detail would detract from the birds themselves.

this is a winner!

perugina said...

Billie, your simple background by way of the tall grass is a most perfect background.
Couldn’t imagine it the other way as per your original thoughts.
Sometimes going with intuition is the best course – just as the tall grass here.. sometimes we just have to feel our way through.
Bravissima!
perugina

Kristen said...

Hi - have just recently found your blog. I think the background is terrific, and works really well with the rest of the composition. It's a great color palette all together - nicely done! :)

Billie Crain said...

I agree, Jeanette. I may leave the grass as is. The palette began much warmer too but I decided to tone it down and change the whole mood.

Billie Crain said...

This one sort of developed on it's own, Perugina. I wanted to bring the colors of the birds into the background and it made all the difference in the final painting.

Billie Crain said...

Welcome to my blog, Kristen.:) Thank you so much for your comment!

Brian Seed OWS SCA said...

I think you 've found a nice overall b/g that suits the birds....lets them be themselves and not at war with the b/g.
Well done

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Brian! You're known as Seedy on WC...right? I'd recognize your wildlife paintings anywhere.:)

Janet Belich said...

Agreement here, Billie. The background fits well. Nice job !
Do some more duck duck gooses ! ;)

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Janet.:) I may do more birds. I enjoyed painting these.