Translate

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Catnapping III~Tired Tonkinese


Here's another in my latest series of sleeping cat paintings. I found the reference photo in the WC RIL courtesy of Crias. Tonkinese cats have beautiful but tricky coloring to duplicate with paint. I finally went with Warm sepia, DS Moonglow, cobalt blue deep and a very, very light under wash of quin gold. I did fiddle with this one more than I would've liked but I kept seeing things that had to be tweaked. My inner control freak was nagging me to distraction this time around and I gave in more than a few times. I think for that reason I'm not as happy with this one as I was with the first two. Constant tweaking and loose style painting don't even belong in the same sentence, much less the same painting.


The background has a more greenish cast to it than appears in the image. I was unable to recover it in my photo editor.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Great job Billie, I'm a "cat person" but don't think I've heard of that breed. No matter, any breed of cat is superior to all other creatures IMO, they are Nature's masterpiece!

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Nick.:) I believe the Tonkinese cat is a cross between a Siamese and a Burmese. Although you can't see them in this painting they tend to have aqua colored eyes.