Translate

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Milky Way WIP


Update: After my first attempt to paint this one without the benefit of doing a color study(shame on me...it failed miserably), I cut the back of the paper up into squares approx. 6"x 8" and did several studies with various palettes. I settled on this one.

I decided to freehand the Moon, enlarge it to outrageous proportions and attack this project with my trusty Mon Image spray bottles filled with diluted watercolors. (1.)I started with a light wash of DV Gamboge Hue by spraying the entire sheet and wiping the excess paint away with a paper towel. Great way to tone paper! (2.)I then applied Misket to the cats and the reflection in the water. I also spotted in a few stars. I used Frisket film to protect the Moon.(3.)Then the fun began. I sprayed like a maniac, directing and modifying the coverage with good old toilet paper. My paper towels had way too much texture for this purpose. The palette is basically Indigo mixed with FUB, Perylene Maroon(potent color!)mixed with Ultramarine violet and that's about it! I did use a bit of plain water in a sprayer to move the paint in places.

The Frisket film is still in place as is the Misket. I plan to tweak this further with some pastels so I'll remove the masking materials afterwards.

6 comments:

Anita said...

What is misket? Somewhere i have some frisket. Do you know if its useable with other media?
This is going to be fabulous - can't wait to see it!

Billie Crain said...

thanks, Anita! Misket is just a brand name for masking fluid. i'm not sure if you can use it with other mediums. i never tried but it would be interesting to experiment!

Mary said...

It is looking quite good Billie, and I imagine the fun you had spraying.

Billie Crain said...

Hi, Mary! good to 'see' you.:) it was fun to get the sprayers out again. i can get effects with them that aren't possible any other way that i know of. i'm beginning to see all the different techniques i've picked up on my wc journey coming together at last. maybe i'll finally develop my own unique style. that's been a goal of mine. hey! i DO have a goal afterall!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I love peeking into your methods of working. It always gives me ideas. This will be a wonderful piece. Your imagination is amazing.

Billie Crain said...

thanks, Jeanette! i can come up with many ideas. the trick comes in figuring out to paint them. lol