Translate

Monday, March 26, 2007

Matting and Framing




The right mat and frame can and should enhance a piece of artwork. On the flipside the wrong mat and frame can ruin that same piece of art. Taking the time to chose the correct matting and a good frame is well worth the time and effort.




I'll be matting and framing The Poppy for myself. This piece will hang in my home on a pale yellow wall. I've decided I want a square format for the finished hung piece. Since this painting isn't square(approx. 11" wide by 10 " high) the mat will have a 3" border on the bottom. The sides and top will have a 2" border creating the square. I know it may sound odd but it works. For the frame I've chosen two that are simple and contemporary with a matte black finish. I haven't decided how wide I want the actual frame so I've done a virtual frame up with two different width frames which I'm posting here. Then I can look at them both together for a few days and decided which one works best.

7 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

beautiful poppy Billie, and you're so right, the correct frame and mat can make or break it.

I love experimenting with the virtual framing online, such a great tool isn't it?

Billie Crain said...

thanks Jeanette! yes, the virtual frame shop is super. i have a ball trying on new mats and frames. it's amazing how different mats and frames transform paintings.

Stacy said...

Billie, your Poppy is great! This new technique is different than your normal style. How are you liking it?

I will have to give virtual framing a try. I always take so long picking my mats and frames. But it is important and expensive so I don't want to pick wrong!

Billie Crain said...

hey Stacy! good to see you.:-) thank you! definitely try the virtual framing. it's easy and you can try dozens of combinations with just a click.

Anonymous said...

Soooo gorgeous! The wider mat at the bottom gives the picture weight and a solid ground to support the art. I love your choice. I hope that you can find more poppies to paint, as you do them so well.

Anonymous said...

BTW...thanks for the website link

Lisa Ober said...

Hi Billie! You know, I love how willing you are to learn new things and this painting really shows off your skills in that regard. Personally, I am partial to the larger matting with the weight at the bottom. I think it really sets off the piece. I always look forward to seeing what you post.